Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Update on Mama Jo

Monday Mom had an appointment with her primary Dr (Dutter) in Flora. He read the hospital report and turned to Mom to ask her some basic questions. Of course she couldn't tell him anything, at least nothing coherent. The rest of the visit, he and I discussed her condition and he made some recommendations.

The number one most important decision was to completely ignore the carotid theory which stated that was probably the culprit that contributed to her "spell." With a 45% blockage, it would be foolish for us to even consider putting her through that operation. In fact, Dr Dutter said she would more than likely die on the table. He surmised that she probably had another stroke (TIA) and of course it affects the weakest area of her body- her brain. He said the next big TIA could be the one to take her life but she's survived at least 4 of them since living with us so you never can count out the come-back-kid.

He noted also that the tests revealed a lesion in her occipital nerve. That makes sense since she has developed a great sensitivity to light and her eyes always look like they are in pain. Often she complains of her eyes hurting.

Her blood pressure is perfect so at least we don't have to change meds again to keep that under control.

She is still terribly confused. Has never been in our house, can't find her bedroom, bathroom or kitchen. Stands still and stares around her in a complete fog. Has no memory of being in the hospital. Has to be helped getting dressed, bathing and walking (very unsteady on her feet). Asks every morning where she is. Difficulty watching TV because of her eyes and I'm sure there is no comprehension at all. Rarely reads. Mostly sits in her rocker in her bedroom for hours at a time. When I suggest something to do she usually replies that she is very happy where she is and she doesn't want to do anything.

Friday night Deke's 3 secretaries from church are all coming here to the house so that we can go out for an evening. It about brought me to tears when they contacted me to volunteer for this special treat. I don't know for sure what we will do but it'll be fun to just be together.

Well, that's about it for now. I'll try to keep you posted.

2 comments:

Mark and Lori said...

Praise Jesus for those secretaries!! I am SO glad they are doing that. ENJOY your evening!!

Anonymous said...

Read your blog. I, too, want you to enjoy your Friday evening out. You deserve it. LOL, "O"