Monday, February 11, 2013

Wooing and Schussing

Well, other than it being months since I've posted, it's good to be back in the saddle again, so to speak. I really don't like this new blog layout, and for me it's confusing and clumsy and extremely slow so I've avoided posting for the past weeks. However, I thought I'd give it another whirl, but I now know what you all in the FaceBook world have discovered - blogging is pretty much a thing of the past. However, since I don't FaceBook, this is my only outlet to get out the news. So for the 6 of you who read this blog, enjoy!

Just before Christmas, I made reservations at a B&B called, "Cabins and Candlelight." It was to surprise my husband for his 65th birthday (Groundhog Day) and to get him out of the office for a short respite. The 2 log cabins are situated on 30 acres near Thorntown, which is just a 45 minute drive from us. I surprised him by whisking him away on Friday evening after work and driving him to our little love nest. The cabin was small but beautifully appointed and immaculate. When we walked in, some dreamy music was playing over the intercom system and dinner that night consisted of filet mignon on the grill with baked potato and all the trimmings. That was all provided and was in the refrigerator along with breakfast goodies (eggs and sausage) for the next 2 mornings. We crashed! The boy was exhausted and just needed some downtime. That night it snowed so when we awakened, all was still and quiet with the snow skiffing across the ground. We ate breakfast and went for a walk to the Sugar Creek which ran through the property. Later on that morning, we drove to Crawfordsville to take in a movie and decided on "Zero Dark Thirty." Recommend it. That evening we ate at a somewhat famous restaurant in Thorntown called "Stookey's," and spent the rest of the evening soaking in the hot tub.

On Sunday we unpacked then repacked for a Monday morning zero dark thirty take-off flight to Albuquerque, New Mexico, to snow ski. This too had been scheduled for awhile and just happened to immediately come on the heels of the cabin get-away. We were joined by Austin (youth pastor and flying buddy) and Amber, who love to ski too and were able to get away at the same time. We ended up skiing at Santa Fe and the weather, snow conditions and crowds couldn't have been better! Absolutely gorgeous day, with perfect snow and never a wait for the lifts. We skied the whole day and were too tired to try it again next day so we just tooled around Santa Fe and Albuquerque. The last night we stayed at a TLF (transient living facility) on Kirtland Air Force Base and flew out mid-morning to get home Thursday night around 8ish.

So that's our short respite from the hectic pace at church and work, and we find ourselves right back into renewal and Lenten services as well as hospital ER duty, to take up the mantel again. It was a wonderful time to renew our souls and strengthen our relationships. We all so appreciated the Lord's blessing.  Enjoy the pictures and see you sometime soon...

Our Love Nest

View from the kitchen

Cozy in front of the fireplace
On the slopes at Santa Fe

Gorgeous vistas at 12,000'

Stopping for a photo shoot

3 comments:

Mark and Lori said...

Great update! Thanks for posting all of that. I completely forgot that you guys were also going skiing. I remember when we went to Santa Fe with the fams. The big ski jumps at the top were really fun.
mark

Keeping Up With the Joneses said...

I think you're thinking of Angel Fire. I don't recall seeing any jumps at Santa Fe although I rarely went near the black runs, and I do tend to confuse the ski resorts. Anyway it was wonderful ski weather with no crowds. Ideal no matter how you look at it.

Anonymous said...

I'm still here reading your blog, so keep it up! I enjoy your writings and pictures.
Pat P.