Monday, August 8, 2011

She's 96!




Opal is a good friend who lives in Delphi. She's my dad's 1st cousin's wife. It that's too much to digest, just say she's a dear relative. Since moving back to Indiana 8+ yrs ago, Mom and I frequently visited with Opal and we were able to catch up on the family news. After Mom went to the "home" my visits with Opal have lessened somewhat, but I still keep in contact via email etc. I've seen a lot more of her this past year after she was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have a mastectomy. I sometimes take her to her follow-up Dr appointments and physical therapy sessions.

Recently she had her house painted, and the fumes from the chemicals caused her to become very ill. She called me sounding like a frog, and we decided that she needed to come stay with Deke and me for a few days. Her family is in Indy and southern Indiana so it would have been hours or days for them to come to her rescue. It's been just a delight to have her here. She was no problem at all and I think we all loved the opportunity to be together. Today is her 96th birthday. She is a wonder. Still lives alone in her house of 60+ years, still drives, keeps apprised of the country's politics, works a computer like a geek, reads my blog and my family's blogs regularly and is as sharp as a tack. Her surgery has taken a toll on her but her spirit is as resilient as ever.

I took her home today just before noon. She will get all cozy in her newly painted house (now odorless) and spend much of the day catching up on her emails. She might even take a nap.

Happy Birthday, Opal! You are truly one-of-a-kind.

No comments: