Every 6 months I go to the heart institute in Lafayette to have my cholesterol evaluated. I do that because my cholesterol runs high and my doctor suggested we monitor it regularly. Even with cholesterol meds, I usually run a total reading of 185 with a ratio of 1.0-2.0. It fluctuates, but mostly it stays in that area. Yesterday, my total was 250 with a ratio of 2.8. When I go back over the years and study the evaluation sheets, I can see that my cholesterol and the triglyceride ratios are directly proportional to my weight. The lower my weight, the better the readings. My weight also affects my snoring and apnea. So, with all that said, I have set a goal. I hereby put myself on notice that I am going to do all in my power to lose the 5-10 pounds that I need to lose to get my cholesterol and respiration problems under control. Hopefully, you will help me with encouragement and suggestions.
The "getting in shape" goal has another dimension in that I want to look good when I walk down that aisle June 25. So I have set a goal of 2 lbs/month. That gives me a full 5-6 months to get this thing accomplished and with that goal completed, I should see a dramatic difference in cholesterol and triglyceride readings at my next appointment.
This morning I prayed and asked the Lord to help me accomplish this task. I know, without His help, I will never have the strength to stick to the plan. A very rough outline of the procedure involves, walking, jumping rope, eating less and drinking lots and lots of water. I know it sounds like a simplistic plan, but If I stick with it, it will work.
So there. Hopefully this plan will not end up as dismal as my goal of getting the window treatments done for the kitchen. I know my hang-up there- I just can't decide on a style and I cringe thinking of cutting into the material only to discover that I would have liked something else better. Paralysis. But I can see the final plan for the lowering of the cholesterol and I know I will like it when my next appointment rolls around on July 19, 2010.
7 comments:
Getting a workout partner and joining the gym were the two biggest factors for my getting in shape. Going to the gym and seeing all those regular gym goers and all the fitness enthusiasm really encourages me. Mostly, though, I attend the fitness classes (bodypump and bodyattack), and they push me 10 times harder than I'd ever push myself. I just don't have enough self discipline to make myself work as hard as I do in those classes. I can see the joining the gym thing may be difficult for country folk! I would recommend buying a series of fitness DVDs, which will motivate you somewhat (once you have them turned on). Just setting aside the time to do them is what will take the discipline. Leslie Sansone has a great series called Walk Away The Pounds. Beachbody.com's Debbie Sieber has good ones like the Slim in 6. Jillian Michaels (trainer for The Biggest Loser) has good ones. P90X by Tony Horton is a really popular one that is going around right now. Well, I hear a baby girl awaking! Talk to you soon...
When spring weather hits you and dad can walk and ride your bikes. You have a wonderful area to do that.
I also wanted to add that I've followed the Body for Life diet and REALLY like it! All their recipes are on their website, so you don't have to buy their book. They believe in 6 small meals per day!
GO MOM!!!!
Thanks to you all for your suggestions and support. I'm off and running (Hee Hee).
So, how has it been going?
Well, I've definitely lost a good pound. The hardest is to keep a consistent work-out regimen but I am doing better on cutting the calories. Thanks for asking!
Post a Comment