Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Engagement!

Thirty-nine years ago on June 25th, we were married. We left Kokomo Grace Methodist Church after the ceremony and headed west. The first night we stayed in Columbia, Missouri, then continued west toward our final destination of Del Rio, TX. On the way, we went through Kansas and were captivated by the waving wheat fields. They were actually undulating with the wind, much like ocean waves. Vast prairies of wheat stretching as far as the eye could see. It was awesome.

It was also in Kansas that our little Opel Kadett stalled on the interstate and we just happened to drift off a ramp right into a filling station. In those days, filling stations had guys in them who could actually fix cars. We had fouled spark plugs. The gas station guy cleaned the plugs well enough for us to travel just up the road to buy a set of plugs. The town was a typical western town of fake storefront shops, blowing tumbleweed-the whole works. We were enchanted by the setting and decided to stay the night. The next morning we asked around for a good eating establishment and found an incredible breakfast. I had the typical eggs, bacon, toast, juice etc. Deke had the deluxe which included all of my fare plus pancakes and a side of biscuits and gravy. Mine cost .$60, Deke's was a whopping .$85! Even 39 years ago, that was a good deal. Deke has talked about that town and those wheat fields for 39 years and has wondered where in the world in Kansas were we when all that happened.

Now, let's move on to this past Wednesday morning. I came into the kitchen to find Deke packing up the computer. Funny that. When I asked what was happening, I was told that we were leaving for a surprise anniversary get-away. Pack the suitcase. Water the flowers. Cancel the mail. Call the nursing home. Cancel Dr appt and hair appt. Hold the newspaper. Call the neighbor.

We headed west. I'm always excited when we head west. Somewhere along the way, I noticed the GPS giving a heading to Kansas City, Kansas. Kansas? We're going to Kansas for an anniversary get-away? Yep. Well, it wouldn't have been my first choice but after 39 years living with the king of romance and romantic trysts, my faith is not waivering.

Our first night is spent in Kansas City. We have a wonderful suite at the Embassy then a great dinner at OutBack. On Thurs, the day of our anniversary, we drive along Interstate 70 for 300 miles trying to find the little town where we broke down. Is it this one? No, look there's no gas station anywhere near and where's the little motel? Is it this one? No, I don't think so-didn't it have that little eating place right along here? Can't be this one because we drifted down a hill when our car stalled, not up a hill. Wasn't it on that side of the road? All these buildings weren't here 40 years ago. Where are the rippling wheat fields?

We head north through a little town we think is the one and stop along a deserted road. Let's just get out and listen to the wheat waving in the wind, he says. Oh, yes, and here's a little something for our anniversary. He hands me a silver gift bag complete with tissue paper and all. I'm told to read the card first. The card reads:



Inside the bag is a piece of paper that states this is a down payment on a real wedding dress (as opposed to my mini-dress of 39 years ago) . Also in the bag is a veil.

I'm flabbergasted. Usually I figure out his surprises and it annoys him to no end. But not this time. I am at a loss for words.

He gets down on one knee, looks up at me and says that these past 39 years have been the happiest of his life and he can't think of anything to make him happier than for me to say that I would do it all over again. Yes, Yes, Yes, I say!

So we're going to do it all over again except this time we will have a wedding with a dress and flowers and cake and all of everything that we didn't have 40 years ago. And hopefully, this time, we will have you there with us.





4 comments:

Mark and Lori said...

simply wonderful. how romantic.

Anonymous said...

YOU TWO!!!!!!!!! How neat-----all of that in a wheat field! Plans to come sound wonderful,
LOL, "O"

Six in the Mix said...

Can't wait to attend my parents' wedding! Love you both!

Anonymous said...

how wonderfully romantic!!!! what a blessing and an example you both are:)

-melissa